RES Revamps Cardinal Health’s SPD System
RES Helps Hospitals Resolve Drug Safety Issues
Cardinal Health (CAH) originally came to RES for help with issues they were experiencing involving their Specialized Pharmaceutical Delivery (SPD) Consignment program.
Before working with RES, SPD procedures involved sending CAH blood derivative products out to customers who would store them until use. Cardinal relied on the customer to practice safe storage and handling of their products, most of which had specific refrigeration instructions. Once a product was used, it was the customer’s responsibility to manually enter the item and its used status into Cardinal’s system. Cardinal would then use this information for billing and replenishment purposes. In addition to data entry, all other SPD processes, including cycle counts and inventory tracking, were also done manually.
- The SPD program’s manual processes were very labor intensive for both customers and SPD business resources, as well a prone to human error. Accuracy and efficiency were large concerns.
- Product storage and handling at customer sites could not be monitored. Thus, there was no way to know whether products had been compromised.
- Cardinal Health had no way of knowing which consignment items needed replenished until contacted by the customer, and unfortunately, the customer would sometimes run out of product by the time they remembered to enter item usage information. This could become a grave issue, especially in the hospital environment.
Please enter contact info to view our solution.
RES was able to successfully revamp Cardinal Health’s SPD consignment system by implementing our newest product, the AIMS Stor. The AIMS Stor solution is a refrigerated product delivery and tracking system that is barcoding based, but equipped with RFID capabilities. The unit consists of a medical refrigerator modified to include a computer kiosk, barcode scanner, and RFID scanners/readers.
Products are assigned unique IDs in the CAH system, and a tag is applied containing a man-readable version of the unique ID, as well as a barcode. Each tag holds detailed product information. This product data, as well as all other consignment program data, including the product location, order information, etc., is shared between the CAH and AIMS Stor systems in real time through database linkages.
When a customer first receives product, it is scanned and automatically checked against the shipping order. The AIMS iStor software is able to reconcile what has been scanned with what is listed in the order, alerting users to any discrepancies. In RFID mode, a scan is not required; instead, just place the items inside of the AIMS Stor unit. Furthermore, once inside of the unit, AIMS Stor monitors product temperature changes and expiration, sending alerts when necessary.
When an item is removed, it is scanned again (in barcoding mode) or is detected by RFID readers (RFID mode). The item is marked as “OUT” in the system, and the date & time of removal is recorded. Furthermore, an invoice is automatically sent out to the customer, unless they select the option to transfer the item to another location or return the item to CAH. Additional features include the ability to capture data on who took the item and which patient received the item. The system can even keep track of how long the item has stayed out of the refrigerator and tell you whether or not it is corrupt based on its individual handling instructions.
The user friendly, easy to implement system has already been installed in over 15 CAH customer locations, with further installations under way.
With RES’s solution, Cardinal Health can now track products with 100% accuracy, capture important data on product dispensation, and much more.
- RES’s system has automated many manual processes, improving accuracy & speed. Real time data sharing further increases this efficiency.
- CAH can now easily track / monitor product storage, handling, & expiration at customer sites, alleviating safety concerns. Also, customers are able to make better use of their inventory & ensure compliance.
- Real time data on product removal allows for faster replenishment, eliminating problems with sales tracking, billing, out of stock, & over distribution.